A summons is a court order that directs you to appear in court at a stated time and place.
If you receive a summons please do the following:
- Call the District Attorney’s office prior to your court appearance at the telephone number indicated on your summons.
- Please provide the Victim Witness Advocate with an accurate telephone number to reach you.
- Plan ahead and make any necessary childcare arrangements as the matter could take all day.
- Please be on time and dress appropriately-the courtroom is a formal setting.
- Bring the summons with you when you appear on the required day.
- Report to the Victim Witness Advocate in the courthouse who will then direct you to the appropriate courtroom.
- Advise your Victim Witness Advocate if you need documentation to verify your required court appearance for your school or employer.