Press Releases

Randolph Man Sentenced for Role in Route 3 Driveby Shooting of Relative

Download PDF

Contact:  Beth Stone- (508) 584-8120

PLYMOUTH – A Randolph man has been sentenced for his role in a driveby shooting
along Route 3 in Duxbury, Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy J. Cruz announced

After a six-day trial, a jury deliberated just over 17 hours before finding Gai Scott (DOB:
06/10/77) guilty on August 18, 2016 of one count of Assault and Battery with a Dangerous
Weapon. The jury found Scott not guilty of one count of Armed Assault with Intent to Murder.

Today, Plymouth Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Locke sentenced Scott to 2 ½ years in the House
of Corrections with 18 months to serve and the balance suspended for three years. As part of the
conditions of his sentence, Scott cannot own a firearm, not apply for a firearms license and not
reside in a home with firearms. He must also submit a DNA sample to CODIS, the Combined
DNA Index System. The Commonwealth had recommended Scott be sentenced to serve 3-5
years in State Prison.

On March 29, 2014, at approximately 11:54 a.m., State Police received several 911 calls
reporting a shooting on the southbound side of Route 3 in Duxbury. Upon arrival, State Police
observed a red Dodge SUV in the middle of the highway with bullet holes in the vehicle and a
reddish brown substance, later determined to be blood, inside the vehicle. There were shell
casings and projectiles at the scene.

The investigation revealed that there had been growing family tension between Gai Scott
and the shooting victim in the case, a relative. Scott was traveling on Route 3 Southbound in a
funeral procession for another family member, heading to a church in Plymouth when the
shooting took place. At some point, the vehicles were driving side by side and Scott fired several
shots into the red Dodge SUV being driven by his relative. The victim was struck by gunfire,
pulled over and exited his vehicle along the highway. The victim was picked up by a passerby
and taken to Duxbury Police Department before being transported to a local hospital for
treatment of his non-fatal gunshot wounds. Scott was arrested and taken into custody and

Assistant District Attorneys Amanda Fowle and Kaitlyn O’Leary prosecuted the case,
which was investigated by State Police assigned to the District Attorney’s Office, Duxbury
Police and Plymouth Police.


August 26, 2016